Workshop: How to Become a Freelancer in Berlin
by James Glazebrook
Since moving to Berlin, we’ve learned the hard way how to set ourselves up as freelancers in Germany. Every time we tried to decipher another letter written in Deutsch officialese, navigate the corridors of one more Amt, or (shudder!) do our taxes, we wished there was someone to explain what we should be doing, and why. That’s why we’re really excited to announce this all-important überlin workshop, in conjunction with the experts at Expath: How to Become a Freelancer in Berlin.
This is the workshop for you if you’re thinking of going freelance, or if you already have and don’t know exactly what you’re doing. Maybe you’ve moved to Berlin from outside of Germany, and want to know how the country’s laws affect you. Or perhaps you’re working cash-in-hand and want to “get official”, lest you get locked up or deported or something (just kidding!). Or maybe you’re just wondering: do I really need all this insurance?
Join our workshop to get an expert’s answers to questions like these:
- What kind of health insurance do I need?
- What other insurances are a good idea?
- How do I get a tax number and invoice clients?
- How do income taxes work?
- What is VAT and do I need to charge it? Are there other taxes I need to know about?
- What is the difference between freelancing, self-employed and being a Gewerbe?
- What are the special German laws regarding marketing, advertising, your website etc?
How to Become a Freelancer in Berlin takes place on Saturday, from 2 – 6pm in our beautiful coworking space. It will be in held *in English* and costs €35 (plus VAT) to attend. Sign up for our upcoming workshops: